The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury , Narrated by Bronson Pinchot

The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury

I listened to this story so as to participate in the Literary Horror Group's October read. I have long been planning to read more of Ray Bradbury's work, so I jumped on this opportunity. (Mostly thanks to Edward Lorn through whose contest I won the audiobook version. Thanks again, Ed!)

I enjoyed this fanciful tale even though it wasn't a bit scary. In fact, I would categorize this as more of a dark fantasy, though labels are just labels, in the end. As was true of the 2 other Bradbury stories I have read, the prose was flat out amazing. The man knew how to string words together in the most fantastic ways, he really did.

That being said, I wasn't that impressed with the tale itself. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I felt that it was written more for pre-teens or teenagers than adults. It seemed to have a purpose behind it that would have made it a perfect read for junior high school. I know that Mr. Moundshroud would have fascinated me as a teenager. He almost did, even now.

Bronson Pinchot's narration did the story justice, I believe. Especially where Moundshroud's voice was concerned.

All in all, I would recommend this story-most especially to younger readers and to readers that are still young at heart. There is a message here to be learned, but even if you don't "get" the moral, you still have a wildly imaginative tale to enjoy.