The Cutting Room edited by Ellen Datlow

The Cutting Room: Dark Reflections of the Silver Screen - Ellen Datlow

I was excited to find this anthology up for review at Net Galley. I'm still very new over there, and I figured that there couldn't possibly be a better pick for me to request. I have loved anthologies like this since I was a kid. I cut my teeth on the likes of Dennis Etchison, Graham Masterton, Harlan Ellison and Dougles E. Winter and I've read a number of anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow. Unfortunately, of the twenty three tales within, there were only 7 that rated 4 stars or above with me.

In this collection, the stories are loosely connected by film. To be clear, not all of these stories are horror or dark fiction, which was fine. It's just that a lot of them just didn't resonate with me. I will briefly mention the tales that I thought worked well:

Cuts by F. Paul Wilson-Who doesn't like a fun voodoo story now and then?

each thing I show you is a piece of my death by Gemma Files and Stephen J. Barringer- A nice creepy piece about a guy showing up in films.

She Drives the Men to Crimes of Passion by Genevieve Valentine-It seems that I have a thing going for stories with birds lately, and this one was super cool.

The Onlookers by Gary Braunbeck-Perceive and be perceived.

Ardor by Laird Barron-There was a dreamy feel to this Alaskan tale.

Even the Pawn by Joel Lane-I thought this story kicked ass. It was a sad one though, about sex slaves.

The Tenderizer by Stephen Graham Jones-This story was a tough one to read, but it touched me.

Overall this was a jam-packed collection, but it left me slightly disappointed. Perhaps it's because I expect a lot from any anthology edited by Ellen Datlow? Perhaps I wasn't quite in the right mood for most of these tales? I don't know for sure, I can only say how this collection made me feel. While the collection was no doubt full of well written tales, most of them just didn't work for me.

I received this eARC free from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. This is it.