The Squidder by Ben Templesmith

The Squidder - Ben Templesmith

I requested this graphic novel from Net Galley because a few of my friends checked it out and thought it was pretty good. They were right.

I found this to be action packed fun! I liked the characters and I enjoyed the artwork quite a bit. I found that I enjoyed looking at the panels more from a distance rather than up close. Once I got a feel for the artist, I knew in which few parts I wanted to zoom in to see the details. The artwork reminded me a little bit of Impressionist paintings. It all came together best when viewed from a little ways back.

The story was a little confused. I'm not sure that's the word I'm looking for. These are some of the familiar themes that came to mind while I was reading: The Cthulhu Mythos (sort of obvious), Mad Max, Dune, (riding a behemoth squid instead of a worm),  Rambo (made into a killing machine, but now idle), The Terminator (sort of), and the Borg from Star Trek (hive minds and whatnot). Despite all that, I did like the idea of The Squidder, a genetically modified soldier designed to fight against the  invading legions of squid. I am interested to see where it will go from here.

Overall, I enjoyed this graphic novel and I found it to be entertaining. While not wholly original, I think it still has the potential to visit some entirely new places in the future and for this reason, I will be looking for the second in the series.

Recommended for sci-fi graphic novel fans, fans of Lovecraft and of horror in general.

I was provided a copy of this graphic novel by Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. This is it.