Arkadium Rising by Glen Krisch

Arkadium Rising - Glen Krisch

I've been a fan of Glen Krisch for a few years now, so when a free copy of Arkadium Rising was offered to me in exchange for an honest review, how could I say no?

This is a post apocalyptic tale wherein a group called the Arkadium purposely brings about the end of the world as we know it. It turns out that this group has been around since nearly the beginning of humanity itself. It also turns out that they are not the only ancient group in town. THAT is what set this book apart from other PA tales.

I liked the characterization in this book, most especially the two brothers Jason and Marcus. They are related, but not alike. Marcus, being a part of the Arkadium himself is all gung-ho while Jason wants nothing to do with it. (Which may have something to do with what Marcus and the other members do to bring about the end times; hint: it's not pretty.) Marcus wants Jason to be the scribe/record keeper of the event and Jason just wants to get away.

There were a couple of characters that irritated me: Delaney, sleazy and psychotic girlfriend of Marcus, got on my nerves. And although I did love the character of Jason, at times I found him to be a little wishy-washy and repetitive in his thinking.

Overall though, I thought the story was interesting and it did have portions that made it unique. While I had issues with a few of the characters, the story did get to me and I'm looking forward to reading what's next for the Arkadium.

Recommended for fans of post-apocalyptic tales!