Orphans of Wonderland by Greg Gifune

Orphans of Wonderland - Greg F. Gifune

This book was excellent, as I’ve come to expect from Greg Gifune.

Joel, a journalist with a dubious mental health history, is approached by the daughter of his old friend, Lonnie. Lonnie was murdered and his daughter convinces Joel to investigate. Joel agrees and the reader is taken on a journey deep into government secrets, hidden experiments, child abuse, demons and insanity. Is it all in Joel’s head or is it real? You will have to read this book to find out!

As always, Gifune’s prose is streamlined to create an atmosphere of creeping unease and tension. He masterfully weaved this tale so that the reader is often unsure if what is happening is real or not. By the end of the tale, we know. It’s sad, it’s awful, and it’s all TOO real. This tale does revisit themes that Gifune has often visited in the past with much success. In my opinion, he was successful this time as well.

A gripping, horrific tale with psychological aspects, Greg Gifune reels the reader in until he has a tight grip on them, and then he stomps all over their feelings and perceptions until all that remains is a shaky bundle of nerves. I highly recommend this story to lovers of psychological horror.

*I received a free eARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*