Night Things by Michael Talbot

Night Things - John Michael Talbot

Lake House is like some dark amalgamation of the Winchester House and Hill House. The angles are all off, there seems to be more room on the inside than the outside indicates, and Lake House has its own dark history. Unfortunately, most of the family staying over the summer are not aware of it.

I won't delve into the story description too much, since the synopsis already does that. I will say that I thought this was an extremely well written, fast paced story. It doesn't have the literary impact of say, Hill House, but it does indeed have an impact.

I loved the 2-3 story lines going on because they always left the me guessing. The character interactions between the wife and her new husband were kind of cliche, but I didn't mind that so much because the narrative only stayed with them briefly and then quickly moved on to the mysteries within Lake House. There were a few of them, and they were out of this world.

For me, it's rare that the ending of a haunted house story delivers. Usually the endings are sort of hokey and they're mostly the reason I don't read many HH tales these days. This book was a delight, well written and well paced, surprising and just plain fun.

Highly recommended to fans of literary horror fiction and haunted houses!

*I received a free copy of this book from Valancourt Books in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*