Abram's Bridge - Glenn Rolfe

Abram's Bridge is, at heart, a ghost story and I love ghost stories.

Sweet Kate is lurking underneath Abram's Bridge when she was discovered by Lil Ron. As their meetings under the bridge continue, Ron realizes that Sweet Kate was murdered and he wants to help discover the killer.

With a gritty cast of small town characters this novella has some memorable moments. I liked this premise and I enjoyed the characters. So why only 3 stars you ask? It was the writing. I believe this is Mr. Rolfe's first published work and I think he has talent, but the writing needs a little work. I'm not an editor or a publisher, nor do I pass myself off as some kind of writing expert. But when I read an awkward sentence like this one, it takes me out of the story:

" Music is what got him through the mess life had decided to litter his path to adulthood with."

Despite a few awkward sentences like this one, I truly did enjoy the story. It was intriguing and fast paced and the tale wound everything up very nicely. Overall, I do recommend this story and I will read more of Mr. Rolfe's work in the future.

*I received a free copy of this novella in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*