March 2015 Round Up!

Katie (Valancourt 20th Century Classics) - Michael McDowell Bossypants - Tina Fey The Dreaming Jewels - Theodore Sturgeon, Paul Michael Garcia The Dunfield Terror - William Meikle The Last American Vampire - Seth Grahame-Smith The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel - Anthony Horowitz The Croning - Laird Barron The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters Whitstable - Stephen Volk The Devil's Detective: A Novel - Simon Kurt Unsworth

Above are my reads from March this year. Katie by Michael McDowell wins the best book of the month!

How can you beat an 80's horror novel featuring an evil child with a hammer? And then she grows up and uses that hammer even more! Katie was a total blast and anyone that enjoys horror, especially 80's horror, would LOVE this novel. Click here to read my review:

Katie

Whitstable by Stephen Volk was a beautifully written story and I plan on reading more from this author in the future.

The Devil's Detective which I obtained through Net Galley was an excellent debut effort from Simon Kurt Unsworth. I'm so glad I requested it!

I have a few audiobooks on my list this month, which is unusual for me. However, I think as time goes on there will be more and more of them making it into my monthly round ups. They're so much fun and easy to work into my schedule.

Bossypants was fun as was House of Silk. The Last American Vampire was also a hoot.

Both The Croning and The Dunfield Terror were fun Lovecraftian type romps. The Croning being more of a literary Lovecraftian horror while The Dunfield Terror was more of a creature feature. Both of them worked well for me.

Lastly, The Dreaming Jewels by Theodore Sturgeon.

This is another older story, a dark fantasy, that surprised me with its depth and quality.

Overall, this was a good month for reading here at CHC. The longest book I read this month, The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters was my only disappointment, and that was still a 3.5 book, so I'll take it!

I'm happily looking forward to what April will bring!