Dark Screams Volume Three

Dark Screams: Volume Three - Peter Straub, Jack Ketchum, Jacquelyn Frank, Brian James Freeman, Richard Chizmar

I received an email from this publisher, inviting me to Net Galley to download this book. Since I read the first two volumes and enjoyed them, I hopped right over to NG and downloaded this bad boy. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.

The Collected Short Stories of Freddie Prothero by Peter Straub I love Peter Straub or perhaps I should say I lurve him? Ghost Story was my favorite book for over two decades. But the story in this collection? I couldn't make heads or tails of it. It reminded me of Flowers for Algernon, but at least in that book, I could make out what was being said. What use is a story if you can't even read it? 2*

Group of Thirty by Jack Ketchum

I love Jack Ketchum too, though his books often contain difficult subject matter. This was rather tame for Ketchum. I enjoyed it, but it didn't knock my socks off. 3.5*

Nancy by Darynda Jones I thought this one started out good, but the ending was too pat and deus ex machina-y for me. 3*

I Love You Charlie Pearson by Jaquelyn Frank I liked this one quite a bit-a boy stalking a girl until she turns the tables. (It's been done before, but I still enjoyed it.) 4*

The Lone One and Level Sands Stretch Far Away by Brian Hodge I love Brian Hodge and I enjoyed this story of urban explorers and ugly discoveries. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, because I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I believe this story has some connection to Whom the Gods Would Destroy. As a big fan of cosmic horror, which is what I choose to think this story is about, I gave it 4*.

I averaged out the 5 stories and came up with a 3 star rating. I found this collection slightly disappointing considering the heavy hitting authors contained within. However, I 'll happily check out volume 4, mostly because I'm afraid I'll miss something great!

Overall this is a decent collection of stories, but I can't give it my full recommendation.

*I received this book free from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*