Within by Keith Deininger

Within - Keith Deininger

Bravo!! I'm a sucker for stories about evil in small towns and this one is right up there with the best of them.

As I read, I couldn't help but think about Salem's Lot. I felt like the Upshaw Mansion was comparable to the Marsten house-the center of the evil in this small town,( in this case, Mesa Rapids instead of Jerusalem's Lot.)

I enjoyed the plucky characters here, most especially young Zach. A few of the characters were simply drawn, but I'm okay with that, because I loved the imaginative descriptions of things going on in different rooms at the mansion. Not to beat the Stephen King comparison horse to death, but some of these scenes put me in mind of The Shining. There were quick peeks into rooms filled with blood and madness and then we're off to the next insanity-causing room.

Throughout this tour of hell, I kept thinking about how much fun I was having. In that regard, this story seemed like more of a novella than a short novel, -it just went by so fast! I liked how the story wrapped up, leaving room for a return to these characters or to just the town itself. And whatever happened to Mister M? I can't wait to find out. Overall, I loved this story-I found it imaginative, creative and fun. If you like "evil in a small town" type tales, I highly recommend you check this one out! Just don't blame me for the nightmares.