The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

The Slow Regard of Silent Things - PatrickRothfuss

"You might not want to buy this book." Is the surprising foreword to this story.

This is not a series book, but in a way it is. If you've read Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind or The Wise Man's Fear, then you are familiar with the mysterious Auri. If you have not read those two books, then do not pick up this one because you will be lost. I believe this tale's official title is The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5.

This is a unique novella-in that there is no dialogue, (something I normally abhor), and there are no other characters; it's just Auri. She is a mysterious girl that lives mainly underground, where she can follow the various pipes to mysterious places. She's an observant girl-she knows everything has its place and she takes the time to find the right place for everything. She's sensitive-the chapter titled Hollow consists of one sentence: "On the third day, Auri wept."

There are illustrations throughout the book and I adored them. They really brought alive Auri's hair, which is often described as floating around her head.

I used the tag "Poetry" because this book is poetic. Not in the normal way, there are no stanzas or rhymes, but there are word plays. Words that are made up, words that are used in unusual ways. This particular feature worked really well for me and sometimes I just had to stop and marvel at certain passages or phrasing.

I'm still not sure what to make of Auri. Is she just a normal, lost child? Is she mentally ill? Is this story a disguised commentary on mental health or is it just the story of a homeless kid? Each reader will pull from this tale their own conclusion.

At the very end, the author had a few words to say and he finished those up with this:

This story is for all the slightly broken people out there. I am one of you. You are not alone. You are all beautiful to me.

Highly recommended for fans of the Kingkiller Chronicle!