Boy's Life by Robert McCammon

Boy's Life - Robert R. McCammon

I just realized that I never brought over my Boy's Life review from Goodreads. Not that any review could properly describe this book or how it makes people feel.

There is no way that any review could live up to this book. It is utterly fabulous. It reels you in and never lets you go. It will bring back every good memory that you had while growing up. The feeling of freedom you experienced riding your bike, exploring wooded areas and just generally being a kid.

One of my favorite quotes of all time comes from this book:

We are born able to sing to birds and read the clouds and see our destiny in grains of sand. But then we get the magic educated right out of our souls. We get it churched out, spanked out, washed out, and combed out. We get put on the straight and narrow and told to be responsible. Told to act our age. Told to grow up, for God's sake. And you know why we were told that? Because the people doing the telling were afraid of our wildness and youth, and because the magic we knew made them ashamed and sad of what they'd allowed to wither in themselves.

Do yourself a favor. Read this book. Get a little of that magic back.