Reading progress update: I've read 47% of Dead Wake (The Last Crossing of the Lusitania)

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Scott Brick, Erik Larson

This is an okay listen so far. A good portion of time was spent on the passengers aboard ship. One of them that interested me was Theodate Pope Riddle.

Theodate was one of the first licensed and respected female architects. She also suffered from severe depression. She suffered from this starting fairly early on in her life and her parents sent her to Doctor Silas Weir Mitchel, the inventor of the "Rest Cure".

This supposed cure was invented by him in the late 1800s and it was most often, (read ONLY),  used as a treatment for women. Specifically, for hysteria and other supposed nervous conditions. This treatment involved resting for anywhere from 6-8 weeks. During this time period the woman was allowed only to rest. She was not allowed to feed herself or go to the bathroom. She was not even allowed to turn over in bed without calling a nurse. No reading, no writing, no walking, no NOTHING.

This treatment failed in Theodate's case. It also failed in the case of Charlotte Perkins Gilman. In fact, Charlotte hated it so much she wrote a story about it. That story is one of my favorite short stories of all time-The Yellow Wallpaper. It's available online for free and can be downloaded from Amazon for free as well, here. It's a powerful short that I highly recommend.