Missoula by Jon Krakauer, narrated by Mozhan Marno

Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town - Jon Krakauer

I listened to this book on Audible Audio. I found it to be disturbing and upsetting.

At times this was a difficult book to listen to. What these women went through, and were put through ,was disgusting. No wonder so many rapes are not reported, most especially in towns or schools where sports are all they have and the accused are star athletes. Being examined for a rape kit is like being raped all over again.

To have the families of the accused and the accused themselves badmouthing rape victims and rallying the support of the community AGAINST the victims was the worst part of this book for me. Luckily, one of the rape victims actually had the rapist on tape, admitting what he had done. If not for that, she would have ended up like the other main victim in this story-badmouthed and avoided socially, while her rapist walked free.

Contrary to popular opinion, not all rape claims are lies. Not every woman lies so that her boyfriend won't find out she cheated. Not every woman lies to attract attention and have some drama in her life. (I cannot even believe that some people argue that, knowing what these women have to go through.)

This book is full of statistics and at times, the reading is a little dry. I felt that the second trial portions went on a bit too long and for that, I deducted one star.

Other than that, I think this book should be mandatory reading for all women, but most especially for women of college age. Protect yourself, ladies, it's a harsh world out there.