A Song of Shadows by John Connolly

A Song of Shadows: A Charlie Parker Thriller - John Connolly

I loved this book!

Charlie Parker is recovering from near fatal injuries and as such, is reflecting on his life and the decisions he has made. Rehabilitating at a house in Boreas, Maine he becomes interested in a body that washes up at a nearby beach and so begins this story which I'll call Charlie and the Nazis.

The portions of the book that I loved best, (other than the always entertaining Angel, Louis and Fulci Brothers), were the parts regarding Charlie's daughters. Series followers are already familiar with Jennifer and Sam but this book reveals that Sam has a secret, a dangerous one, and I cannot wait to find out more about where it comes from and how it is to be used. Jennifer made a promise to Charlie in "The Wolf in Winter" and in this volume, she keeps her promise. Charlie's girls hold sway over his emotions and I think Connolly's writing shines brightest when dealing with Parker's feelings toward them.

In short, this is yet another hit from Mr. Connolly. We've got a damaged Charlie, two daughters, Nazis, Nazi hunters, concentration camp survivors and all the old standbys including Cambion and The Collector. Everything you love about this series is here, plus some.

A Song of Shadows receives my highest recommendation. To fans of truly excellent writing, crime thrillers, mysteries and horror, go get yourself some new Charlie Parker at the end of this month! You won't regret it. (Available in the U.S. on September 29, 2015.)

*I received a free e-ARC of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. This is it. *