Fresh Meat 2015

Fresh Meat 2015 - Neko Lilly, Liam Dunson, Tony Cella, Melissa Lason, Michelle L. De La Garza, Joshua Rex, Jason R. Murphy, Matthew Weber

Independent authors work hard to get their stories out there and I think collections like this are a good way for them to do that. In this collection of 7 stories, these were the ones that worked best for me:

Find the Arise by Liam Dunson-My favorite tale of the collection. A man holed up with his children as hostages makes for a fine setting. Will they get out alive? You'll have to read this to find out. (I love stories that have phrases, plays, or books that cause bad reactions in people-the story "The Yellow Sign" by Robert Chambers, for example.) In this case, instead of a play, it's a phrase-"Find the Arise." 5*

The Kiss of Death by Neko Lilly. A BRUTAL story about true love and finding your perfect mate. This one went WAYYYYY over the top and the reader is forced to hang on for dear life. What fun! 5*

Homunculus by Jason Murphy-This is a NASTY tale of a boy getting into trouble. Whenever you see a walled off building, just leave the damn thing alone. This story started off tame then it wandered into WTF territory and I love when that happens! NOTE: I recommend you don't read this one over your lunch hour. 4*

Hydrophobie by Michelle Garza and Melissa Lason -A term which refers to rabies, but there's a LOT worse going on here than just plain old rabies. In fact, rabies looks like a walk in the park after a space rock crashes into earth and people start to get itchy. Lots of fun to be had here, despite a few awkwardly worded passages. I'll never look at ticks in the same way again! 4*

Overall, I enjoyed this collection and I appreciate the hard work that went into it. While not every story worked for me, the majority of them did, so I recommend this book to fans of horror short stories, especially gross and brutal ones.

*I was provided a free e-copy of this book from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*