Fengriffen and Other Gothic Tales by David Case

Fengriffen & Other Gothic Tales - Kim Newman, Stephen Jones, David Case

This collection of horror stories written in the gothic style really, really worked well for me.

For the modern horror reader, gothic style means that these tales contain very little blood and gore. It also means that the language used is usually rather flowery and descriptive. In this case, the language used was beautiful, but NOT flowery and going on and on about the scenery and whatnot.

The fact that there was very little blood and gore does not make these tales any less horrific. The stories about a young, virgin wife in her new home and a science experiment gone very, very wrong, were truly terrible and actually scary . I'm very rarely disturbed by horror stories, but I was disturbed by these. In fact, I just LOVED them.

This edition has a nice intro by Stephen Graham Jones, and the afterword by the ultra knowledgeable Kim Newman, (which resulted in my adding a few more books to my HUGE TBR), made for nice bookends to these gothic gold nuggets.

I highly recommend this book to fans of gothic style stories and beautiful writing!