My Favorite Books of 2015!

Riding the Centipede - John Claude Smith Sweetheart, Sweetheart - Bernard Taylor, Michael Rowe Katie (Valancourt 20th Century Classics) - Michael McDowell The Croning - Laird Barron The Best of Joe R. Lansdale - Joe R. Lansdale Burnt Offerings (Valancourt 20th Century Classics) - Stephen Graham Jones, Robert Marasco The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss Sour Candy - Kealan Patrick Burke A Song of Shadows: A Charlie Parker Thriller - John Connolly Paradise Sky - Joe R. Lansdale

I can hardly believe that another year has gone by! It was an exceptional year for reading here at the Horror Corner, and today I'm going to share my favorites with you. To clarify,almost all of the books on this list were published prior to 2015, but I read them this year. Without further ado, my favorite reads of 2015, in no particular order, (click the title to see my review):

Riding the Centipede by John Claude Smith. A fresh offering in the horror genre is a rare thing, but Jean Claude Smith pulled it off with this one. It's bizarre, original, disgusting and fun. It was a blast.

Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor. Next to Joe Lansdale, Bernard Taylor is my favorite author discovery of the year. With his beautiful writing and descriptive skills, this haunted house/ghost story rose above the rest, featuring shivers galore. This is one of my all time favorite stories, sure to be read over and over again. The intro, by Michael Rowe, is also one of the best I've ever felt. I say felt because his excitement for the story came through and touched my heart.

Katie by Michael McDowell. A charming 80's horror tale of a young girl, (and later young woman) and her hammer. That's right. Her hammer. A MUST READ for fans of 80's horror, from the screenwriter of Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas. If you haven't read any McDowell, you can't honestly call yourself a horror fan.

The Croning by Laird Barron. A beautifully written tale with vivid imagery. It's been months since I've read it and I still cannot find the words to describe this story.

The Best of Joe Lansdale by Joe Lansdale. This was the first Lansdale book I've read and it was the start of what is going to be a long journey for me. This collection of tales has something for everyone. Let the Champion MoJo Storyteller show you a thing or two about how short stories should be written. I guarantee you'll come back for more.

Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco. Never did I think I would read TWO awesome haunted house stories this year, but I did. HH stories almost always fizzle out for me at the end, but not this one. I bought a house with a swimming pool this year, and every single time I look at it, I think of this book. Read this story and you'll know why.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. I didn't get the new Kvothe book I was hoping for, (DAMMIT!), but this novella which features Auri from The Kingkiller Chronicle, was so awesome, I was okay with that. A unique little story without much dialogue or action, but I just loved it. When I recently moved, I attempted to use Auri's method of  decorating-i.e. sit back and let things tell you where they belong. It worked, too. Mostly.

Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke. This novella was twisted and messed up. Plus, look at that cover. It's freaky! It matches the story perfectly.

A Song of Shadows by John Connolly. This was my favorite entry in the Charlie Parker series so far, which is saying something, because I've loved them all. I believe that this will forever be my favorite fiction series.

Paradise Sky by Joe Lansdale. I didn't want to have any authors on here twice, but I cannot deny that Paradise Sky belongs on this list. A western, not a horror story, (it does have horrific elements, though), this tale has something for everyone. Even though I listed it on my best audio books list, I feel it belongs here as well. I laughed out loud so many times my coworkers thought I was losing it. I also bawled my eyes out at one of the scenes, which I rarely do. I got that delicious, satisfied feeling when I finished listening to this book. I bet you will too.

That's it! I've met some more excellent book-reading people at Goodreads and Booklikes and I hope to continue to receive awesome reading recs from them in 2016. (You guys ROCK!)

As for me, I hope to improve my reviewing skills while reducing the number of "read to review" books and increasing the reading of the great number of books that I already own. Hopefully, I will do better at this than I did last year. Either way, I'm reading a lot of great books and that's always a good thing.

Happy New Year from the Horror Corner!