Haunting Investigation by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

Haunting Investigation - Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

Haunting Investigation is an historical fiction mystery, set in Philadelphia in the 1920's. America and the world were still reeling from the Great War and the devastating flu epidemic. The twenties were not yet roaring.

Young Poppea Thornton scored herself a job at the local newspaper offices, but she's tired of writing about social events and garden parties; she wants to report on crime. Soon enough, she gets her wish, but unfortunately the crime involved members of her upper crust family. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Poppy is often assisted in her endeavors by the ghost of a dead spy.

I requested this book from Net Galley because I'm a long-time fan of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germain series. (Possibly the longest running vampire series of all time.) I enjoy her historical fiction and this book was no exception. However, I found this story to be a bit pat. We have our plucky female hero, almost an old maid at the age of 25, who gets involved in a murder investigation which puts her into danger. The rest of the tale spun out much as I expected it to and it didn't hold any real surprises. I was disappointed by the ending.

Overall, I did enjoy this historical fiction story anyway, even though I found Poppy to be a bit annoying at times. I learned more about this period in American history; Chelsea Quinn Yarbo has always been skilled at relating what life is like at different time periods. In this respect, Ms. Yarbro is still the author I've always enjoyed and admired.

Recommended to fans of historical fiction.

*Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for providing an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*