Birthdays for the Dead by Stuart MacBride

Birthdays for the Dead - Stuart MacBride

Scottish Noir-it's a thing. I finished my first book in this genre and it will not be the last.

This is more of a psychological thriller than a horror novel, but that doesn't make this story any less horrific. MacBride's way of telling the story took a little getting used to-there are a lot of holes and questions on the reader's part. But I had faith in MacBride and just continued on and shortly, my patience was rewarded.

The author did not take any shortcuts, he built his characters from the ground up and totally fleshed them out. He was wise enough to insert some humor into this otherwise, dark, DARK, story. If he hadn't, this one might have been too dark-even for me. I thought he would cop out at the end, that perhaps he had painted himself into too tight of a corner, but he didn't. Here was a denouement that was brave and it DELIVERED.

How have I not heard of Stuart MacBride before? If it hadn't been for our great group, I wouldn't have. Thanks to Kate and thanks to Horror Readers. Once again, I'm on the trail of a new-to-me author and it's a great feeling!

Highly recommended to fans of noir and dark, dark fiction!