Reading progress update: I've read 21% of The Fireman, by Joe Hill

The Fireman: A Novel - Joe Hill

The first 150 pages of The Fireman, which Net Galley was kind enough to provide, are enthralling!

A new spore, (read plague), has been discovered and it's been named Dragonscale, or 'scale, for short. It tattoos the skin with black marks which almost look like bruises, except they're threaded throughout with bits of gold. Once the 'scale is spotted on the body, it's only a matter of time before that person erupts into flame. With no cure and the population of the United States, (indeed, the world), flaming out in a big way, things are looking hopeless.

When the pregnant nurse Harper discovers she's infected, she does her best to take care of herself anyway. As a nurse, she knows the 'scale affects everyone differently, and that the disease does not transfer itself to the fetus. Unfortunately, her husband has to leave their home for fear of contracting the 'scale and he's none to happy about it.

I don't usually go into the plot this much in my reviews, but in one where I am limited to the first 150 pages, (of 768!), there's only so much non-plot related that I can say. I am SUPER EXCITED to find out what happens next! (Luckily Edelweiss provided an ARC of the entire story, so onward ho!)

You can pre-order your copy of The Fireman here: The Fireman

*Thanks go out to Net Galley and to the publisher for this free 150 page preview, which they provided in exchange for an honest review. This is it.*