Magic by William Goldman

Magic - William Goldman

This novel was a lot of fun. There's an evil vent dummy, (just look at that face on the cover!), and a somewhat wishy-washy magician. Put them together and what have you got? A total blast!

This book seems a little tame compared to the horror that abounds today, but back in the 70's when it was written, I'm sure it was a shocker. And perhaps because I was a criminal profile junkie back in the day, the origins of the psychological issues in this story didn't quite ring true for me. But geez, it's a vent dummy story, right? Lighten up.

In that regard, this tale hits all the right notes. It's entertaining, fast paced and compelling. Goldman is also the author of The Princess Bride and The Marathon Man, so the guy knows how to write a story and this one is no exception.

If you're looking for a tale about a magician and a dummy, and you're not going to think too hard about it because you just want to have a good time, this is the book for you! Grab it and see if you can see the magician's lips move! I dare you.