Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson, narrated by Lesa Lockford

Life Among the Savages - Shirley Jackson, Lesa Lockford

This is an hilarious autobiographical account of Shirley Jackson and her husband, raising 2, (then 3, then 4) children in a small Vermont town. I listened to the audio version, narrated by Lesa Lockford, and I thought she was excellent.

This has to be the funniest audiobook I've ever heard. It consists of vignettes regarding daily life, such as: a bus trip to the store for school clothes, with 3 children, a doll carriage, a doll, etc..., or a game of musical chairs, except it involves a sick household and beds instead of chairs. Somehow Shirley threads all of these short stories into a narrative that I think most mothers will relate to, even though it took place in the 1950's.

It's difficult to believe that this is the same author of some of my favorite books, (The Haunting of Hill House!!), because the tone and style is so different. What is the same is the master level of story-telling-landing you right in the house among the savages.

4 stars for the story, 1 additional star for the wonderful narration. Highly recommended!

You can buy your copy here: Life Among the Savages