The Complex by Brian Keene

The Complex - Brian Keene

It's confession time. Even though I gushed like hell over Brian Keene when I met him last year at the Merrimack Valley Halloween Bookfest, I now have to admit that I haven't read any of his books. (Don't get me wrong, I've bought a ton of them, I just haven't read them yet.) I know, I know, it's unforgivable for a horror fan such as myself. Now I can say that I've at least read one, and it was a blast!

With no explanation given, (or needed, in my opinion), this book starts off with a bang. A young lady, her son and her friend, are just moving into The Complex, when a fat, naked man runs up and...well, you'll have to read it for yourself. There is no time wasted getting right into the meat of the story, so to speak.

I loved how the characters were introduced-via their apartment numbers. I thought it was quite clever, and it gave me a chance to picture each one and to get a feel for each of their personalities. After, and really, even during that section, hold the fuck on, because the action gets going with a bang and continues non-stop throughout the rest of the novel. The chapters are short and the pacing is hectic, so this is a quick read.

With no explanation given as to the cause of the problem here, there is no time wasted on anything but the action and the story. And believe me when I say that the aforementioned action is brutally violent, gory and FUN.

Keene fans will most likely recognize a few of these characters, as the author explains in the afterword that many of them have appeared in his previous works. I was most fascinated by "The Exit", so I will definitely seek out those works that feature this ultra-crazy guy.

Overall, this book was a fast, fun and brutal novel. If you're looking for a rip-roaring ride of a horror read, this is the book for you. Highly recommended for fans of action-based, violent horror!

*I received a free e-copy of this book from Deadite Press, via my friend Chris, (thanks Chris!), in exchange for an honest review. This is it!*