Born With Teeth, written and read by Kate Mulgrew

Born with Teeth: A Memoir - Hachette Audio, Kate Mulgrew, Kate Mulgrew

Captain Janeway was a fascinating character to me. As a devoted Star Trek fan, the first female captain was a big deal. At first her voice bothered me, but I got used to it quickly, and from there I developed a real liking for the character, and I wanted to learn more about the person.

Kate Mulgrew wrote and narrated this autobiography herself. In some ways I learned a lot about her life, but in other ways, I felt she skimmed over some important events, about which I would have liked to have learned more-most especially her work with the rest of the cast on Star Trek: Voyager.

Ms. Mulgrew is a strong woman. She makes no apologies for her choices, and I respect that. She works hard and it seems she has a close-knit family. But in some ways, it seems like her life has been charmed.

As of the end of the book, she still has both parents, (though it was mentioned at one point that her mother had an incident which sounded like the onset of dementia to me. I would have liked to have learned more about her feelings regarding that, as my own mother was diagnosed with dementia last year.) She was able to be reunited with the daughter she gave up for adoption. (Did she regret giving her up? She never says so, exactly, though she did search for her for years.) There is another reunion at the end, which seems to put the final touch on it-she gets everything she wants.

(show spoiler)

Where she sort of lost me for a while was during her divorce, when she was relating how she hadn't worked for a while and that she was broke. She calls whomever, finds out she has only $10,000.00 left and decides to take her two boys to Ireland for the summer. Apparently, Ms. Mulgrew and I have VERY different ideas about what it means to be broke. (My idea of it involves no vacations or any sum over $10.00.)

Kate Mulgrew can write and write well. Combined with her narration, it made this autobiography a joy to listen to. Despite the rather abrupt ending, I recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about this fascinating woman.