Redemption Road by John Hart

Redemption Road - John Hart

This is a deep, dark and gritty read. So gritty you can feel it on your face. I loved it!

Redemption Road is an example of storytelling at its finest. Elizabeth is a suspended police officer under investigation for killing two men that were holding and raping a young woman over a period of two days. In my opinion, she deserved a medal. However, the way the men were killed was kind of torture-y, which is where the problems begin. From there on out, John Hart manipulates the mind of the reader, doling out crucial pieces of information as the story goes on. I had no idea where everything was going to end up and I love when that happens.

There are some very serious themes here involving religion, rape, shame, and torture. These are not themes I normally seek out, but once I began reading Redemption Road, I could not turn away. In fact, I was up until 1:00 AM this morning because I had to find out, I had to know what happened. The reason I deducted a half star was because, and this REALLY IS A SPOILER, (so please don't click it if you don't want to know),

the ending was a happily ever after type deal and to me it was incongruous with the darkness and grit of the rest of the story. Even though what happened was exactly what I wanted and wished for these characters, I did not feel that the ending truthfully served the story.

(show spoiler)

Despite that one thing, I loved this book. I loved the characters in all of their beat up, dirty glory and I just wanted to hug all of them. And one of those long hugs too, where you cling to each other for a while, you know? Elizabeth, Adrian, Channing and Gideon-I'll be thinking of them all for a while, I know I will. If you read this book, you'll be thinking about them too.

Highly recommended for those readers that don't mind getting down and dirty. If you can handle the grit, the payoff is a big one.

*Thanks to the publisher and to Net Galley for providing an e-ARC in exchange for this, my honest review.*