On Writing written and narrated by Stephen King

On Writing - Stephen King

Although I have no intention of writing anything other than reviews, I found this book about writing to be interesting and chock full of good information.

The first portion was autobiographical in nature, and that was the part I enjoyed most. Hearing about King's menial jobs and how hard he worked, combined with the drug and alcohol abuse and other obstacles he's overcome, made him seem more real to me, somehow. More like a regular guy.

The parts on writing, even though I'm not an author, were helpful to me as a reader and a reviewer. I know that in the future I will be on the lookout for a few of the common errors mentioned.

At the end, King goes into detail about getting hit by that van and boy, is it ever horrific. Even though he wrote Misery long before this incident, when he was talking about it, all I could think about was James Caan's battered legs and Annie Wilkes. In fact, from King's descriptions, I think his legs were in even worse shape than Caan's.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about writing, and also to those who are just curious about Stephen King and the stories behind some of his most popular books.