The Sandman 4: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman and various artists

The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists - Neil Gaiman, Harlan Ellison, George Pratt, Malcolm Jones III, Dick Giordano, Kelley Jones, Todd Klein, Matt Wagner, Mike Dringenberg, P. Craig Russell

This is my favorite entry in the Sandman series so far!

Here we learn a lot-for instance, all the supposed stand alone stories in Sandman 3: The Dream Country, were NOT all stand alones. Some of them do have connections that are referenced here.

The introduction by the irascible Harlan Ellison was fantastic. I know he's a curmudgeon, but I adore the man. His description of what happened when one of Gaiman's comic book stories won the World Fantasy Award was freaking hilarious.

I didn't enjoy the artwork in this one as much as I did in previous volumes, but I loved and admired the stories and the writing so much, that I didn't mind. I would have enjoyed these stories with no artwork at all.

It is now becoming clear to me what an epic undertaking this series must have been. The story arc is HUGE and encompasses so much. We have hell and demons and all kinds of creatures from legends and myths and they're all mashed together in a story that somehow makes sense. It's truly impressive and I can't wait to continue on with this series.

Highly recommended to fans of fantasy, Neil Gaiman and graphic novels.