Freedom of the Mask by Robert McCammon

Freedom of the Mask - Vincent Chong, Robert R. McCammon

Freedom of the Mask defies any pat descriptions. Yes, it's the 6th entry in Robert McCammon's historical fiction series, but it's also an action, adventure mystery as well.

London in 1703 is one filthy place. In addition to all of the nasty problems due to overcrowding, there are gangs competing against each other for territory, and a new type of addicting alcohol available that's turning many people into shadows of their former selves. Matthew Corbett finds himself there after an incident which occurred at sea, and then he finds himself locked up in the infamous Newgate Prison.

Berry Grigsby teams up with the indomitable Hudson Greathouse to find Matthew and bring him back home to the small city, (as compared to London), of New York. It is always great to "see" these two whenever they appear. Berry is the sweetest girl ever and Hudson is a formidable but great man, and a true friend.

That's all I can say about the plot other than that Freedom of the Mask took some very dark turns and there were a few scenes that were quite disturbing. When one has a mask on, they have the ability to do things in secret. Whether they be good or bad things the reader has to decide for themselves-but that's the freedom referred to in the title.

I'm always excited for a new McCammon book because they never let me down. This one was no exception: amnesia, battles at sea, swordfights, crazy carriage rides, and outrageously evil villains!. Freedom of the Mask is a lot of things, as I mentioned at the start of this review, but for me it was 100% pure FUN.

Highly recommended to fans of historical mysteries and action adventure tales!

You can buy your copy here: Freedom of the Mask

*I received a free e-ARC of this book via Net Galley in exchange for my honest review. This is it. *