Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple, narrated by Kathleen Wilhoite

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Kathleen Wilhoite, Maria Semple

Where'd You Go, Bernadette is NOT my typical reading fare. However, when my friend Tressa called it "delightful", (she calls nothing delightful), I knew I had to give this audio a try.

First, the narrator. Kathleen Wilhoite was excellent! I loved her voicing of all the different characters, but most especially the uptight, society women of Seattle. To me, it seemed possible that she actually had a stick up her ass, her voice was that good. (You may remember her from her small role in the movie Roadhouse.)

Now, the story. Told in epistolary form, (letters, emails, etc..), the story of Bernadette and her "crazy" life is related. Her disregard for the other hoity-toity Seattle moms instantly endeared her to me. However, as the story unfolds, her unhappiness and lack of fulfillment becomes obvious. The effect this has on her daughter, Bee, and on her husband, Elgin, is not good. You'll have to read the book to find out where Bernadette went.

I'm glad that I trusted my friend and listened to this book. I enjoyed it and even laughed like hell at times. But inside the chaos and the humor, there is an important story to be told about what happens to a woman's life and family when she's not fulfilled. At least, I think it's important. If you think so too, I recommend you give this book a try-especially if you can get your hands on the audio.

Highly recommended!