Last Train From Perdition by Robert McCammon

Last Train from Perdition (I Travel By Night) - Robert R. McCammon

Trevor Lawson. His business card reads:

All Matters Handled

I Travel by Night

A civil war veteran, wounded during the battle of Shiloh, he is made into a vampire against his will. Trevor tries to make the best of things and becomes something of a private investigator, operating out of the Hotel Sanctuaire in 1886 New Orleans.

In the first story of this trilogy, I Travel By Night, (click to see my review), we learn that Trevor wants out of the vampire way of life. As such, he refuses to drink the blood of humans unless it's absolutely necessary. He constantly battles the urges within his own body-the urges that makes his jaw want to unhinge and his fangs to come out. He searches for the Dark Society and his maker, LaRouge, for he's been told that if he drinks the ichor of the one that made him, he can return to a life of humanity. Trevor is a  strong, noble man and he's VERY good with guns.

In Last Train From Perdition, Trevor is summoned to Omaha for a possible job. His trusty assistant and fellow gunslinger, Ann, travels with him. "Hers were the eyes that could bear the steely heat of the sun. They were as black as charcoal and fixed with an intense purpose that could frighten even a vampire." Together Trevor and Ann make a formidable team.

In Omaha, they are tasked with finding the son of a prominent member of society-a young man who went to Montana to search for gold, threw in his lot with a bunch of low-life thieves and killers and now cannot escape. So begins Trevor's latest adventure. Together with Ann, he travels to the Montana Territory, turning this narrative into a true horror western with all the greatness that entails.

Some of the scenes in Montana, most especially once Trevor and Ann are on the return train to Helena, are among the most intense I've EVER read. This is where Robert McCammon's writing really shines. With a cast of characters that all stand out in my mind, (most especially a young boy that will haunt my nightmares for the rest of my life), Mr. McCammon draws the reader into that train car, and then unleashes all of hell upon them. Ann and Trevor find their man, but will they be able to return him to his father safely? You'll have to read this book to find out!

Last Train From Perdition earns my highest recommendation! A vampire gunslinger, fighting to retain and fully return to his humanity is an entirely new concept, and a fascinating one; Robert McCammon tackles it head on and WINS all the stars!

Available on Halloween, here: Last Train from Perdition

*Huge thanks to Net Galley and Subterranean Press for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This is it!*