The Elementals by Michael McDowell, narrated by R.C. Bray

The Elementals - R.C. Bray, Michael McDowell

The Elementals is absolutely fantastic and listening to it somehow makes it even better!

A horror story from the golden age of the 80's, The Elementals stands head and shoulders above the rest. Everything about it has the ring of truth, from the accents of southern Alabama, (my Alabama friend Tressa assures me of this, and R.C. Bray nails it), to the strange familial relationships, and the supernatural beliefs of the characters. All of it combines to bring together an actually scary story. Even to me, and I've read it before!

On a spit of land in southern Alabama sits three houses, one-the Savage family's summer retreat is called Beldame. Another belongs to another family, but the third? The third belongs to the Elementals. What are they and why are they there? You'll have to read or listen to this book to find out!

You are probably already familiar with Michael McDowell-if you've seen the movies Beetlejuice or The Nightmare Before Christmas, you are! He served as screenwriter for both. More importantly, for horror fans, he's written a number of flat out awesome horror books in the 80's and I highly recommend each and every one.

I hope that all of them will be released via audiobook, so I can experience these well told, scary stories one more time. This audio earned my highest recommendation!

You can find it here: The Elementals, by Michael McDowell, performed by R.C. Bray

20 Books of Summer: Book 17