The Night Parade by Ronald Malfi

The Night Parade - Ronald Malfi

Wanderer's Folly-that's the name of the contagion at the center of The Night Parade. As far as plagues go, it does its own thing, but it usually involves bleeding copiously from the nose and intense hallucinations. It's not restricted to just humans either, some animals have also been infected. This is the background in which we find David and his 8, (almost 9!), year old daughter Ellie; both trying to avoid the plague and survive while on the run. If you want to know more than that, you'll have to read this excellent book.

What I liked most about this story was the building dread-the reader never had the chance to fully relax, because just when you thought everything was cool, it was NOT, and then you were right back where you started- which in my case was nibbling my nails and turning the pages. And that's another thing-the pacing. The chapters were mostly short and because there was a lot of action happening, or on the verge of happening, I just kept on going like the literary version of Nemo. Just keep reading...

The characters were good and memorable, but there isn't a big cast here which was fine with me. I think that contributed to the quick pacing as well.

So there you have it: a cool, scary plague, characters you can root for, fast pacing, and what I thought was an interesting plot, even if not altogether original. I recommend this book for all these reasons and not just to fans of horror, but to fans of thrillers and apocalyptic fiction as well. Pick up The Night Parade and see what it's all about. I think you'll dig it!

Available July 26th and you can pre-order here:The Night Parade

*Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is it. *

20 Books of Summer: Book 19