Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Dark Matter: A Novel - Blake Crouch

What a whirlwind of a ride!

Jason Dessen is a college professor at a small school in Chicago. After giving up his dream of working in the field of quantum physics, he has settled nicely into his life with a wife and son. He does sometimes dream about what might have happened if he had made different choices in life, but does that mean he's not happy with this one? What about you? If you had a chance to go back and change certain things in your life, would you? It's certainly an interesting question, right?

So: quantum physics. Yeah. Not the easiest of subjects to deal with, and as such, it's almost impossible to go further into this plot without spoilers. At first, I thought the author was going to ignore what I thought was the biggest problem with his scenario, but he did end up facing it head on. Kudos to Mr. Crouch for not trying to dodge it. However, because of what I felt was an "over the top" premise, I did deduct 1 star.

That said, I thought the characterization here was top notch. I totally felt for Jason and was rooting for him the entire time. I though his thoughts and actions all jived perfectly with how a guy in such a situation would act. He felt guilty for sometimes wishing his life had turned out differently, but no one deserves what happened to Jason. No one.

At breakneck pace, and as a constant parade of challenges and difficulties are presented, Jason goes about trying to solve these quantum physics puzzles. Will he finally be able to solve the problem at the center of Dark Matter, or will he be lost in the darkness forever? You will have to read Dark Matter to find out!

Highly recommended for fans of suspenseful, mystery, thrillers!

You can buy your copy here: Dark Matter

*Thanks to Crown and to Net Galley for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*