A Time of Torment by John Connolly

A Time of Torment: A Charlie Parker Thriller - John Connolly

With a decidedly darker bent than the previous books in this series, Charlie Parker rolls on.

Beginning with the story of Jerome Burnel and ending with the story of an isolated area of West Virginia called the Cut, John Connolly deftly weaves this story of the Dead King. Despite the fact that Angel and Louis are again here, A Time of Torment lacks the often humorous slant those two bring. This is a very dark book, indeed.

Even though this story took its time, I never found myself bored. In fact, I adored the slow build of atmosphere and the depth of the characters. However, I had hoped to learn more about Charlie's daughters, and I did, just not as much as I had hoped. The end of this book, though, gave me such a case of the chills I could barely hold my Kindle. I'm not sure that I can tell where John Connolly is going to take Charlie and his daughters in the future, but I think it's going to be an even darker place than any we've visited so far. His story is winding down now; he's aging and showing the signs of all his various battles, both mental and physical. Never a super hero- Charlie is human, and as such, there's only so much his mind and body can take. I think his journeys are coming to and end now, but with so many unanswered questions, I fail to see how he's going to get to the finale or what that will consist of, exactly.

I feel no need to worry though. I trust John Connolly is going to make Charlie's last adventures worthy of our time. I only worry that my heart might not be able to take the final outcome.

My highest recommendation to fans of Charlie Parker and John Connolly!

*Thank you to Net Galley and Atria for the advance reader copy in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*