The Rising by Brian Keene, narrated by Peter Delloro

The Rising - Brian Keene

It didn't take long to make my way through this zombie filled wasteland of a book. Humans, (whether they still be humans or be they zombies), are not the only monsters here.

I loved the originality of this story. I can't get into the specifics of it without spoilers, but some of the things imagined and written about in The Rising have still not been done in other zombie books or movies. I really felt something for a few of these characters too. The author pretty much put everyone and everything at risk, so I had no idea what might happen to these people; there was no safe feeling like some books provide you, where you know the good guy will win in the end.

What I did not like is a short list and here it is: The narrator and the fate of most of the female characters. First, the narrator had a fine voice but he mispronounced some words, (brackish is not brake-ish), and his tone of voice was often off. (Obviously, the tone thing is a personal opinion, while the mispronounciations are not.)

Second, I've been a horror fan for a long, long time and I'm quite used to the treatment of women in horror stories being less than stellar. I also understand that a female, or male protagnoist for that matter, has to be put into positions where the reader can root for her or him. However, what happened to the women here bothered me a bit more than usual. Perhaps, because the descriptions were graphic? (But I've read Laymon, Barker and even some Lee and none of those bothered me.) Maybe it's because I'm getting older and my tolerance for that type of behavior, even in books, has now dwindled down to nothing? Even if I can't quite put my finger on it, it bothered me, so that's that.

Overall, I enjoyed this book! The originality of it was mind-blowing, and it must have been the horror book of ALL horror books when it originally came out back in 2003. Remember, this was before The Walking Dead and the whole zombie mash-up thing, (Pride and Prejudice With Zombies, anyone? WTF?). I do plan on reading the sequel, City of the Dead, but I'm going to do just that-read it, instead of listening, because the narration of this one did diminish my enjoyment a little bit.

Recommended to fans of ZOMBIES!