Lost Gods by Brom

Lost Gods: A Novel - Brom

Lost Gods doesn't fit neatly into any one genre. Purgatory being its main setting, there are demons and gods and whatnot, but here in the real world on Moran Island live both a witch and a Lilith, (all in one), as well as a fallen angel and the demonic ghosts of children. I guess Dark Fantasy would be the closest one could come to an accurate label.

Young Chet, fresh out of jail, sells the automotive love of his life to claim the actual love of his life, who is pregnant with his child. He breaks her out of the jail her home has become and heads to the home of his grandmother who he hasn't seen for years. However, his grandmother is not who she seems, and Chet soon finds himself in the depths of purgatory, faced with the challenge of getting back to Moran Island, his wife and child. Will he be able to make it? You'll have to read this to see.

The world-building in this novel is outstanding. Not only did Brom create a world using all kinds of religious and mythological touchstones, he created monetary systems and a grand quest. At times, this novel feels like a western and at others, a horror story. With hints of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Clive Barker's version of Hell, somehow Brom makes it all work. The only issues I had with this story were the pacing, (which slowed down to glacial once or twice), and the length, (it could've been shortened a bit, I think, without losing anything truly important.) Those are the only negative things I can say about this book.

Even though my digital advance review copy did not have them, I would be remiss if I did not mention the incredible illustrations within. I've seen them online and they're flat-out GORGEOUS.

Lost Gods was my first Brom, but it won't be my last. It was imaginative and the author's knowledge of all of these gods, mythologies, and religions is just...impressive. The way he weaves it all together is even more so. Recommended for fans of dark fantasy, Neil Gaiman and horror/fantasy/quest mash ups.

Buy your copy here: Lost Gods: A Novel

*Thanks to Edelweiss and Harper Voyager for the e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.*