Dead on the Bones: Pulp on Fire by Joe Lansdale

Dead on the Bones: Pulp on Fire - Timothy Truman, Joe R. Lansdale

Remember reading those pulp magazines when you were a kid? Those and the adventure novels about Tarzan and exploring lost worlds? Dead on the Bones: Pulp on Fire is a collection of those kinds of stories and it really brought me back to my childhood.

Being a Lansdale fan, I have come to expect a certain sense of humor from his stories and that was mostly missing here. In the foreword, Mr. Lansdale explains that he purposely tried to write in the style of his heroes. I would say he succeeded!

My favorite story of the bunch was Dead on the Bones.A tale of a conjure man that visits the locals regularly, and who just so happens to resurrect the dead as boxing opponents. There is a lot more to this one than just what's on the surface, but you'll have to read it to see what sets it apart.

Under the Warrior Star  was a very close second in my list of favorite tales. A true adventure story which reminded me of the fact that all my teachers used to tell me that these stories were for boys. They never understood me. Flying about on beetle-like creatures among the canopies of giant trees, with a man who can meditate so deeply he can levitate? Sign me the heck up! There was so much to this story that I can only cover the bare bones of it here-but trust me on this, if you loved pulp adventure when you were a kid, you'll love this one.

The Gruesome Affair of the Electric Blue Lightning featured an old favorite of mine, Auguste Dupin. Poe was always a thrill for me and to meet Dupin again was a blast! Lansdale hit the writing style right on head with this one and it brought back a lot of fond memories.

Dead on the Bones: Pulp on Fire was written as a tribute to the pulp writers of old-be they in print, on the radio or the television, the feel of the stories remains true. I think fans of the old magazines and stories like Weird Tales, or Alfred Hitchcock's, Tarzan or even Conan will not only get a big kick out of these adventures, but they'll also get a nice walk down memory lane. Recommended for fans of the old pulp and adventures stories!

You can get your copy here: Dead on the Bones: Pulp on Fire

*I received my copy free from Net Galley and Subterranean Press in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*