Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation by Damian Duffy (adapter), Octavia Butler (author) and John Jennings (illustrator)

Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation - Damian Duffy, John Jennings, Octavia E. Butler

Kindred is a book I've been wanting to read for a while, but my hectic schedule, (read: my inability to stop requesting books from Net Galley), hasn't allowed me the time to squeeze it in. When I saw this graphic novel adaptation available on, (where else?), Net Galley, I had to have it. Luckily, they approved me and here we are.

I enjoyed the heck out of this story-as much as a story partly about slavery can be enjoyed. Dana, (a young black woman), through some unknown mechanism, gets pulled back in time every time young Rufus' life is in danger. She doesn't know Rufus from Adam, but he's in trouble and she comes to his aid. As the story goes on, we discover that Dana has been pulled from the 1970's back into the time of slavery. The time travel aspect is never explained, so I tried to accept it as a given. After a period of time, Dana is sucked back into her current time and into her white husband Kevin's, loving arms.

Upon her return, Dana explains to Kevin what happened. The next time it happens, Kevin is pulled into the past along with her and again, Rufus' life is saved. I don't want to say anymore about the plot because...spoilers. (In case there is anyone else out there who hasn't read the book, other than me.)

I liked the story and I did like Dana and Kevin. However, the characters back in the time of slavery were not as well developed as I would have liked. (Perhaps they are more developed in the novel itself?) My main problem with this graphic novel is the illustration. I was not all that fond of the graphics. I did end up getting used to the illustrator's style, but overall it didn't work that well for me. Perhaps the graphic novels that I have experience with all have superior illustrations, (The Sandman Series, Preacher, American Vampire) and that's why I was disappointed? Or perhaps these graphics were just a bit sub-par.

This was a great way to familiarize myself with the story so I'm not entirely ignorant anymore. It also did whet my appetite for the original tale. Overall, I would recommend this graphic novel to readers like me-ones that have a hard time fitting a long novel into their reading schedule. Just don't expect the graphics to knock your socks off and you'll be fine.

You can pre-order your copy here: Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation

*Thanks to Net Galley and Abrams ComicArts for the e-ARC of this graphic novel in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*