Burning Amber by Paul Roberts

Burning Amber - Paul Roberts

Burning Amber is a little bit of mystery, a smidge of ancient myth, and a tad of cosmic horror. Shake it all up and you've got yourself a compelling story!

Amber is a college student working on a paper about forest fires and the environment for her creepy professor. While out on site at a huge fire, she catches a glimpse of something and that is just the tip of the iceberg, as far as the mysteries in this book are concerned. Just then, she is contacted regarding her comatose mother suddenly waking and Amber rushes off to see her. From there, things get complicated.

I admired Amber as the protagonist of this story, she did not take any bull from anyone and I've always liked that in my female characters. She's tough and smart without becoming a cliche and in my opinion, there are not enough women like this in horror and dark fiction.

Regarding the mysteries in this story, I liked them and found them to be compelling-though, at times, I thought the story got muddled between all the different aspects of the events occurring throughout.

Was this a Lilith story, a Firewalker story, or a Cosmic Horror story? I'm not sure even the author knew.

(show spoiler)

I think a tighter focus might have helped pull things together into a more compact package. That said, the pacing never suffered for it and this was a fun, exciting read that kept me engaged all the way to the killer ending. (Pun intended!)

Recommended for fans of dark fiction!

You can view the super cool book trailer here: Burning Amber Book Trailer

You can find your copy here: Burning Amber

*I received a free paperback copy from the author well over a year ago, with no expectations of anything from me in return. This did not affect my review in any way.*