Char's Horror Corner Top 5: Short Story Collections/Anthologies Read in 2016!

Greener Pastures - Michael Bukowski, Michael Wehunt, John Boden, K. Allen Wood The Wrath of Concrete and Steel - John Claude Smith Wrathbone and Other Stories - Jason  Parent The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories - Francis  King, John Blackburn, Richard Marsh, Michael McDowell, Stephen Gregory The Seeds of Nightmares - Tony Tremblay The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury

I've been lucky to have read a ton of great books this year here at my Horror Corner. I'll be doing a few different posts about my favorites and this one tackles short story collections and anthologies. If you're interested in learning more, please click the titles to see my original review.

These are in no particular order but:  Every. Single. One. Of them. ROCKED!

Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt is the one selection in my top 5 that was written by an author previously unknown to me. It absolutely knocked my socks off and I cannot say enough good things about it. I still think about the title story and the "spaces between" any time I hear any stories about long distance truckers.

You can get your copy here: Greener Pastures

The Wrath of Concrete and Steel by John Claude Smith contains a few stories that are unlike anything I've read before. I've read over 170 books this year alone, so for me to say that is really something. Unfortunately, I do not believe this book is currently available anywhere.

Wrathbone by Jason Parent was great fun! The title story was a curious mix of historical fiction and dark fiction which I didn't think was possible to pull off properly, but Jason did it and he made it look easy. I still think about "The Only Good Lawyer"  and the witch doctor all the time. You can find your copy here: Wrathbone and Other Stories

The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories is an absolutely terrific anthology put together by one of my favorite publishers. What sets this one apart and above the rest is the fact that it's not the same old horror stories that you read in every other anthology. The authors included within are often not known for their horror stories at all, which was a nice treat. Plus, there's a kick-ass story from Michael McDowell in there. The price of the collection is worth it, just for Miss Mack, in my opinion.

You can get a copy here: The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories

The Seeds of Nightmares by Tony Tremblay was a breath of fresh air. Containing original and creative stories, often with a touch of poignancy, I found myself wishing I had read this collection sooner. I know that the story Stardust will stick with me forever. You can get your copy here: The Seeds of Nightmares

Bonus: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. What more can I say about this widely read classic? The stories were creative and imaginative even by today's standards. I think any fiction reader's library is incomplete without this volume.

So fill that void here: The Martian Chronicles

Thanks for reading and I'll hope you stick with Char's Horror Corner in 2017, for your dark fiction and horror reading recommendations.