Gilded Cage by Vic James

Gilded Cage - Vic James

In Gilded Cage , Vic James has created a world where slavery still exists- 10 years of it for every single person. It doesn't matter if you serve your ten in a glass mansion or a dingy factory-slavery is still slavery.

I enjoyed the world-building and almost despite myself I became attached to the Hadley family. Even though their rather naive daughter, Abi got on my nerves a little bit,   I did care about her brother, Luke,  her sister and parents. I found the concept of the "Equals" a fascinating one, they being the people catered to by everyone else. Capable of chilling powers and yet the true depth of their power was not fully evident until near the end of the story.

Another thing I very much enjoyed was the complexity of the villains. At some points, it was difficult to distinguish who they even were and I liked trying to figure that out. Lastly, I relished the fact that not everything is all laid out and explained in great detail like at the end of a TV show. I still have a couple of questions-so even though I'm not even a fan of YA AND I've sworn that I'm not starting any more series', I do plan to read the next book.

The reason I'm giving 4 stars and not 5 is because I felt things got bogged down a bit, (a la the Song of Ice & Fire series), when introducing all the political machinations of the different families. I don't feel like there was too much, exactly, just perhaps too much all at once .

It's always nice to be surprised by a book on which you take a chance. I requested this one based on the appeal of the description alone-I really didn't think the book would live up to my expectations, but I'm happy that it did!

Recommended to fans of YA, magicians, (of a sort), and fantasy!

You can get your copy here:Gilded Cage (Dark Gifts)

*Thanks to NetGalley and Del Rey Books for the free ARC in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*