Dis Mem Ber by Joyce Carol Oates

DIS MEM BER and Other Stories of Mystery and Suspense - Joyce Carol Oates

Dis Mem Ber is an excellent collection of stories previously published elsewhere. The only threads they have in common is that they are all from a woman's point of view, (except for WELCOME TO FRIENDLY SKIES!), and they are all unsettling.

My favorite had to be the first story, DISMEMBER, in which a young girl narrowly escapes what could have been a nasty end.

HEARTBREAK was the story of two sisters, one beautiful and the other, not so much. Sometimes jealousy can get out of hand, before we even realize we are jealous.

I also enjoyed BLUE HERON quite a bit. This is the story of a widow dealing with her grief while trying to avoid her scummy brother-in-law who wants her to sell her lake-house.

Lastly, WELCOME TO FRIENDLY SKIES! had to be one of the funniest stories I've read in years. I'm not going to say anything further about it, as I think it's best to go into it cold.

Overall, this was a satisfying collection of stories from one of the masters of American short fiction. Highly recommended!

You can get your copy here: DIS MEM BER and Other Stories of Mystery and Suspense

*Thanks to NetGalley and Mysterious Press for the free e-ARC in exchange for my honest review. This is it!*