Mapping the Interior by Stephen Graham Jones

Mapping the Interior - Stephen Graham Jones

Mapping the Interior touched me in a way that's hard to define.

A young man, missing and thinking of the father who died before he could really be known, believes he saw his father coming through a doorway. From there, we learn more about this young man, his family, Native American culture, and superstitions.

In a way, this could be interpreted as a ghost story. In another interpretation it could be thought of a coming of age story-with perhaps a little psychological horror on the side. However it's interpreted, whatever genre it's labeled, the fact remains that it moves the reader. It's a powerful piece of work.

I'm not going to go further into the plot, because I think the reader should discover it for themselves. I know that it brought me back to certain points in my childhood and how I felt about things, but I can't seem to adequately explain how it made me feel. Mapping the Interior resonated deeply with me and I'll have to leave it at that.

I give it my highest recommendation.

You can order a copy here: Mapping the Interior

*Thanks to Tor and to NetGalley for the e-ARC of this novella, in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*