Through A Glass Darkly by Donald Kirch

Through A Glass Darkly - Donald Allen Kirch

The site of the all the action in this book is Manchester House. Built in the small town of Atchison, it's known by the town-folk as a place to be avoided and it's even known by the local police force as the place they often have to go to recover dead bodies. In other words, everyone knows not to go in there.

So of course, here comes Dr. Holzer and his team. I'm tempted to call them paranormal investigators, but they're really not. We have one skeptic, one archaeologist, one psychic, and Professor Holzer. Later in their investigation, Indrid Night appears with his deaf and mute assistant, Lars. Night was easily the most interesting character in the entire story-even more so than the ghosts and spirits that were present in the house. A professional expert in dealing with hauntings of all kinds, I would have happily read an entire book about him alone.

Where the story lost its grip on me was when the explanation for the haunting was revealed. (This is almost always where haunted house stories fall apart for me.) Also, the dialogue between the characters never quite came together in the right way for me to believe it. It was kind of stilted and unnatural. Lastly, perhaps it's too many of these types of shows on TV now, but I kept picturing this as an episode of ghost hunters. This book deserved better than that, but I couldn't help my mind from seeing it in that manner. I hope this makes sense.

Overall, the imagination and creativity here were top notch, even if the execution was slightly clunky. I would still recommend this to fans of shows like the Ghost Hunters, and also to fans of haunted house stories!

*I was provided a free PDF of this story in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*