The Girls by Emma Cline, narrated by Cady McClain

The Girls: A Novel - Cady McClain, Deutschland Random House Audio, Emma Cline

Evie Boyd was 14 when she joined a cult, even though they didn't call themselves that. They were more like a group of teenage girls surrounding one main guy and a few other male hangers-on. There are few things in this world that can be as cold and selfish as a young girl on the cusp of womanhood.

I listened to this on audio because the premise interested me and it was available. I've always been fascinated with cults and how people get caught up in them. In this case, Evie was young, her parents had just gotten divorced and she was at loose ends for the summer. (Idle hands and all that.) To me, she came off as a spoiled brat looking for attention, but I did come to feel a little sorry for her as the story progressed.

Even though I did enjoy this book, looking back on it-the "cult" members didn't have much depth to them. I can tell you how they looked and what they did, but why they were like they were? I have no clue. I think the charisma that generally pulls people into cults, (think Koresh or Manson), was missing here. I would have liked to know more about them and how they got together.

Cady McClain, the narrator, was excellent and reminded me of the audios of Megan Abbott's books, which I loved.

Overall, I enjoyed The Girls more than I thought I would and I would recommend it to people who, like me, are fascinated by cults and what draws people to them.

Thanks to my awesome library for the audio book loan!