The Grip of It by Jac Jemc

The Grip of It - Dancing Bear Michael Axtell;David Castleman Deborah Byrne;Michael Estabrook Daniel R. Cuddy;Bobbie Kilzer Gogain Mark Featherstone;Billy Dean Hester George Held;Jerry H. Jenkins Ken Holland;Duane Locke, Jac Jemc, Inc. Blackstone Audio,  Inc., Amy McFadden

I loved the premise of this book and borrowed the audio from library because it sounded so good. The Grip of it delivered!

This audio follows Julie and James as they buy a new home to begin their fresh start. Almost immediately, creepy things begin to occur. Their new neighbor only adds to the uncomfortable atmosphere, not to mention the stories of the townspeople. When mysterious bruises begin to appear on Julie's body, they both have to admit there is some kind of problem, but how are they going to deal with it? You'll have to read this book to find out.

I loved how the chapters alternated between the viewpoints of James and Julie. This worked very well on audio with two narrators. I also enjoyed the slow burn of the stories and how the characters reacted to each occurrence, though at one point, I will admit to just yelling at my phone, "it's time for you to move out!!" Surprisingly, I liked the ending too, which is where almost all haunted house stories fall apart for me. I thought it believable and reasonable. What more could I ask? Oh, I know! More Jac Jemc, please!

Highly recommended, but beware, this is quiet, creeping, chilling horror. Not in your face, blood everywhere type of horror and to that I say, Bravo!