I've read 30% of The Only Girl in the World

The Only Girl in the World: A Memoir - Maude Julien, Adriana Hunter

This story is pretty brutal but not in the usual way. I'm a horror loving gal and so usually my brutal books have more to do with redneck cannibals than anything in real life.

In this true story, Maude Julien relates how her father adopted her mother and then later impregnated her. Maude was a result of that pregnancy.

Her father did this on purpose because he set out to raise a perfect "super-human" being. The things he does to Maude throughout her childhood are horrible. She is completely isolated, (her entire family is), from everyone and everything. She has no contact with other children or any people at all, other than "The Killer", who comes to the house a few times a year to butcher livestock, which she and her mother then have to wrap and freeze.

Maude has no rights whatsoever, so I think this will be a good option for the Human Rights square, number 7.

Book themes for International Human Rights Day: Read a book originally written in another language (i.e., not in English and not in your mother tongue), –OR– a book written by anyone not Anglo-Saxon, –OR– any story revolving around the rights of others either being defended or abused.
–OR– Read a book set in New York City, or The Netherlands (home of the U.N. and U.N. World Court respectively).