Bubba and the Cosmic Blood-Suckers by Joe Lansdale

Bubba and the Cosmic Blood-Suckers - Joe R. Lansdale

With a title like BUBBA AND THE COSMIC BLOOD-SUCKERS and an author like Joe Lansdale, how could anyone not want to read this book? Throw in the fact that this is the prequel to the awesome story BUBBA HO-TEP, and how could I refuse?

I've never seen the film of BUBBA HO-TEP, but I loved the tale with all of its warped humor and fun characters. There was less humor in this book, which I found disappointing, but there were some cool inter-dimensional monsters, as well as some freaky shadowy vampire-like creatures as minions and what's not fun about that?

The characters here were a mismatched bunch and I would like to see an entire novel based on the character of The Blind Man. (He may not be able to see, but all of his other skills as well as his psychic abilities are well honed.) I would also love to know more about Johnny, (sometime narrator of this tale) and John Henry, wielder of the giant hammer. Lastly, the horny house ghost also interested me. Unfortunately, this short novel moved so fast that I didn't get to know these characters as much as I would have liked.

BUBBA AND THE COSMIC BLOOD-SUCKERS was full of bloody horror action and a lot of fun, but I guess I was expecting a little more from the Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe Lansdale. But hey, a so-so Lansdale book is better than most good books by other authors, so if this premise sounds interesting to you, I say give it a go! You could do a lot worse.

*Thanks to Subterranean Press for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*