The Conversationalist by Justin Bog

The Conversationalist: Horrorstruck Novella One - Justin Richards

Patrick doesn't seem to have one normal relationship in his entire life. He's a teacher and he deals with his students as necessary, but he and his sister don't get along very well and other than his coworker Margo, there's no one else in his life. So when he goes out on a date with Wendy, I had high hopes for him-but alas. It goes so poorly that Patrick leaves while Wendy's in the ladies room. Why? You'll have to read this novella to find out!

As many of you already know, I think that the novella is the perfect size for a horror tale. The length helps keeps the word count down by making every word count. In this story, it took a little while for Patrick's secrets to be revealed-maybe a bit too long. There wasn't a lot of action, but there was a lot of tension and atmosphere and those are the types of dark fiction stories that usually appeal to me the most.

Being an avid, experienced reader of horror, I found the denouement to be poignant, but tame. I also found the author's writing style took a little getting to used to. That said, it did grow on me and towards the end I was enjoying it immensely. (Except for the world "yearning." That one appeared a lot for such a short story.)

This novella was a dark and intriguing read with a distinct style that I enjoyed!

Recommended, especially for those new to dark fiction/horror stories and to those who don't like their horror too bloody!

You can grab a copy here: The Conversationalist: Horrorstruck Novella One

*Justin Bog was kind enough to send me a paperback of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*